Open up your Academic Publishing Toolbox - a course for PhD students in the Humanities and Social Sciences (SSH)
This course is a one-day workshop that takes place on the 26th of october 2023 from 8:45 to 16:00. Participation for the whole day and completion of assignments is required to receive 1 ECTS credit.
Academic publishing is a cornerstone in any research career and the foundation for how universities and funders evaluate the researchers. This course will address the opportunities and challenges that you as a PhD student might face in the process of publishing your research, as journal articles (or monographs) and data publications. The aim of the course is to provide you with knowledge, skills and tools for publishing your research openly and responsibly while fulfilling the requirements of your university, your funder and your research community.
The course will cover:
- Copyright in publishing
- Creative Commons licenses
- Open Access publishing
- Evaluation of researchers
- The FAIR principles for research data
You will also have the opportunity to put forward your questions and problems for discussion. Active participation and exchange of ideas is encouraged.
After the course, you will be able to:
- Develop suitable publishing strategies together with your supervisor and colleagues
- Apply your new knowledge to publish your research in a responsible way
- Interpret terms and conditions from publishers
- Choose appropriate and preferably open publishing models for your manuscripts and research data
- Increase the visibility of your publications and research data
- Make your research activities visible for evaluation by understanding evaluation criteria and strategically manage your research profiles
This workshop consists of different sessions with presentations, discussions, cases and hands-on activities.