Janne Rothmar Herrmann
Professor with special responsibilities
Karen Blixen Plads 16, 2300 København S, Søndre Campus, Building: 6B.3.15
Primary fields of research
In her research Janne Rothmar Herrmann focuses on the legal regulation of health technology and health care, including:
- Law, Science & Technology
- Biolaw and Medical Law
- Bioethics and research ethics
- Reproductive rights, abortion, assisted reproduction
- Conscientious objection
- Law & Ethics
Current research interests include reproductive rights, the interaction between law and science and regulation of bioethical dilemmas in general.
- Principal Investigator "Reconceptualising Reproductive Rights" (funded by Independent Research Fund Denmark)
- Partner in research project TechnoDeath: Technologies of Death and Dying at the Beginning of Life" (funded by Independent Research Fund Denmark)
- Partner in research project Ice Age. Entangled Lives, Times and Ethics in Fertility Preservation (funded by the Danish Research Council)
- Partner in research project JURFAST - Legal framework for researchers' use of health data (funded by the Lundbeck Foundation)
- Partner in The Cryopolitics of Reproduction in Denmark and Israel (funded by the International Network Programme)
Recently published The Cryopolitics of Reproduction - A New Scandinavian Ice Age, Emerald (with Kroløkke, Petsersen, Bach, Adrian, Hansen, Petersen)
"The Cryopolitics of Reproduction offers a brilliant and empirically rich account of how the cryopreservation of reproductive material in Scandinavian countries (and beyond) is entangled with social imaginaries, moral expectations and gendered narratives. Engaging in a truly interdisciplinary dialogue that brings together feminist theory, cultural studies, medical sociology, science and technology studies, reproductive law and applied ethics, the book is an essential contribution to critically investigate current cryopolitical regimes"- Thomas Lemke, Professor of Sociology with Focus on Biotechnologies, Nature and Society, Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany). ‘If cryopolitics is defined as the harnessing of low temperature to make live and not let die, then a cryopolitical analysis must account for its role transforming reproduction—human and otherwise. The Cryopolitics of Reproduction on Ice represents a landmark contribution to this project. The authors draw on recent critical theory to examine how such transformations have unfolded in Scandinavia. In doing so, they reveal how legal notions of the family shape and are shaped by this new ice age" - Joanna Radin, Associate Professor, Section of the History of Medicine, Yale
Appointed member of the Dataethics Council by the Minister for Justice 2019-2023 and alternate member of the Committee for Scientific Misconduct 2017-2021 by the Minister of Science and elected governor for the World Association for Medical Law during 2018-2022. Sice 2010 serving as a board member of the Danish Society for Medical Philosophy, Ethics and Methodology, during 2010-2015 she was Danish member of the Nordic Committee on Bioethics by appointment by the Nordic Council of Ministers and she has previously served on the Board of the European Association of Health Law. She is appointed external examiner in medical philosophy and health law at the Danish Medical Schools. She serves as scientific expert and ethics expert for the European Commission in the assessment of Horizon2020 projects.
- Biolaw and bioethics (master level)
- Privacy and Technology (bachelor level)
Supervision of LLB, LLM and PhD students
- PublishedHerrmann, J. R., Willum Adrian, S., Bach, A. S., Klingenberg, R. & Petersen, M. N., 2019, Emerald Group Publishing. (Emerald Series in Reproduction, Culture and Society).
Research output: Book/Report › Book › Research › peer-review
Slægtskabsreguleringer. Feministisk retsretorik som analyseramme og dens potentiale for at identificere lovens performative effekterKroløkke, C. & Herrmann, J. R., 26 Apr 2019, In : Rhetorica Scandinavica. 79, p. 44-65 22 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Journal article › Research › peer-review
- PublishedMinssen, T., Herrmann, J. R. & Schovsbo, J. H., Apr 2019, Edward Elgar Publishing.
Research output: Book/Report › Book › Research