Single courses

The atrium on South Campus

You can apply for admission to the Open University on selected Bachelor and Master's courses at the Faculty of Law.

Admission of students for single courses is conditioned by vacant seats on the desired subjects after the ordinary students have been assigned classes. The Faculty therefore reserves the right to reject qualified applicants for capacity reasons. The Faculty also reserves the right to discontinue the courses offered, if there are too few applicants, inadequate teaching resources or if there are any other special circumstances.

Apply early, as the Faculty in cases where there are more applicants than places, gives priority to applicants after the date of receipt of the application.

Any questions? Please send a mail to:





You can apply for admission as a paying part-time students on selected courses offered at the following study programs at Faculty of Law:

How to search the course catalogue


  • The course catalogue for the coming academic year will be published no later than 1 May.
  • You can only be admitted to courses corresponding to 90 ECTS on the Bachelor in law and 60 ECTS on each of the study programmes at Master's level.
  • We reserve the right to discontinue the offered courses if not enough students have registered.
  • It's not possible to apply for single courses at Open University, if you're enrolled as a fulltime student in - or on leave from - the study programme to which the course belong.
  • We reserve the right to discontinue the courses offered, if there are too few applicants, inadequate teaching resources or if there are any other special circumstances.







Admission to single courses as continuing education at Faculty of Law requires that there are available seats and that you meet the admission requirements:

1) General and programme-specific requirements

For courses offered in the Bachelor of Law programme (LL.B):

  • You have completed a qualifying upper secondary education, for example, an upper secondary school leaving examination, hf, Higher Commercial Examination, Higher Technical Examination or the like with at least 6.0 in average mark (without quick start bonus).
  • Danish (A)
  • English B
  • History B or history of ideas B or social science B or contemporary History B
  • You must not be enrolled in or have a leave of absence from the Bachelor of Law programme.

For courses offered in the Master of Law programme (LL.M) or the Master of Social Science of Law programme (Cand.Soc. in Law):

  • You have completed a bachelor's degree (subject matter is irrelevant)
  • You must not be enrolled in or be on leave from a) the Master of Law programme or b) the Master of Social Science of Law programme

Note: you can only be enrolled on single subject courses corresponding to half of the programme's ECTS credits, i.e. 90 ECTS on the Bachelor programme and 60 ECTS on the Master's programmes.

2) Second language requirements

Programmes or courses in English:

  • Scandinavian applicants (including Danish applicants) are required to document proficiency in English corresponding to at least English B level; cf. Section 11 of the Danish Ministerial Order on Admission at Universities.
  • Applicants from an English-speaking country and/or applicants who have completed a Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in English do not need further documentation of English proficiency. Applicants must submit documentation certifying that their Bachelor's/Master’s degree was earned in English.
  • Applicants from outside Scandinavia who speak or write English as a second language must pass the International English Language Testing System (IELTS/Academic), the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) to document their qualifications in English. The minimum acceptable score for IELTS is 6.5 and for TOEFL 560 on the paper test, or 83 on the internet-based test or Cambridge Certificate Advanced English (CAE). For more information about the tests: and

Programmes or courses at Danish:

  • Students from the Nordic countries with Danish, Norwegian or Swedish included in their school leaving examination are not required to do a Danish test. Applicants who have attended a Danish primary school and have obtained the Primary School Leaving Certificate (you need to produce documentation for it) have a possibility of applying for an exemption (dispensation) from the Danish language test. In such a case you need to write an application for an exemption (dispensationsansøgning) where you describe and document your qualifications in Danish.

  • All other foreign applicants must pass the Danish language test before being admitted as a university student. The required Danish test is: "Studieprøven i dansk som andetsprog". The test is offered by Studieskolen or one of the examination-approved language centres. Registration takes place at Studieskolen, Borgergade 12, DK-1300 Copenhagen K or at a Language Centre via the local authorities. The test consists of two oral and two written examinations and must be passed with at least grade 2 in each of all the 4 examination disciplines. Please note that for courses at Medicine and Odontology the Studieprøve must be passed with at least grade 7 in each of all the 4 examination disciplines.

Recommended prerequisites

Before you apply for admission to a course, we recommend that you read the course descriptions carefully and consider whether you are able to follow the teachings. All our courses require that you have knowledge of:

  • legal methods to find, acquire and use relevant sources in the legal assessment
  • legal information and literature searches
  • organisation of Justice

If you do not, you must be prepared to read up on this outside the classroom, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have the prerequisites for being able to keep up with. There is not time to answer questions that you will need to have knowledge of.

We also recommend that you are familiar with to read textbooks in English.

Dispensation from the admission requirements

If you do not hold a bachelor degree, you may apply to be exempted from the admission requirement. To do so, please enclose a motivated application, where you explain why you are qualified to attend the specific course(s). In the processing of your application, emphasis is placed on:

  • Professional experience within the area of the desired course
  • Other relevant education and/or continuing or further education























Letter of admission

When you have been accepted for enrolment, we will send you a letter of admission, which among other things contains practical information.

In addition, you will receive a letter from the ID-card unit at the University of Copenhagen with your email address and a PIN for KUnet. It is recommended that you regularly logon KUnet, Absalon and your e-mail as you will receive a lot of important information through the channels.

ID card and electronic self-service on KUnet

At the University of Copenhagen intranet, KUnet, you have access to a number of self-service options, among other things, an email. Here you will receive all important information relating to your study program and you should therefore check the e-mail daily. You will no later than one week before study start receive a letter with a PIN code for KUnet. You must go to and click: "The first time I log on" and use your NemID to enable you.

If you have not received your pin code or forget it, you must click "Forgot Password" on the login page of A new one will sent by mail to the address listed in our systems.










The type of exam is stated in the course description on You find the applicable exam rules in the exam guidelines (intranet).

Registration for exams

As a part-time student you have paid for two examination attempts. You will automatically be registered for the exam in the ordinary exam period, and it is not possible to withdraw your registration. You may find the period for resits in the course catalogue at

If you do not participate in the exam in the ordinary exam period, you have used your first exam attempt. You must use your second exam attempt, before the expiry of your enrolment period. The date is stated in your letter of admission. If you fail to comply, your second exam attempt will be lost.

We recommend that you use your second exam attempt in the first coming exam period. Both because the teaching is fresh in memory and because a course may be shut down. If your course is cancelled before you have had your second exam attempt, you must submit an application for exemption to have the opportunity to finish the course. See the list of application forms (intranet). In these cases, the exam will typically be held as an oral examination or a written assignment. The type of exam is settled by the course coordinator.

You must register your second exam attempt using the form below within the registration deadline, which you will find on important dates (intranet).

Please be aware that your second exam attempt only grants you access to the exam and not to receive teaching again.