Transatlantic Maritime Emissions Research Network - TRAMEREN
TRAMEREN is an international research network established between Center for International Law and Governance (CILG) and the Frank J. Guarini Center on Environmental, Energy and Land Use Law, New York University School of Law.
The purpose of TRAMEREN is to explore research synergies and develop a framework for collaboration between the partner institutions and other associated members, in the area of climate change and maritime transport, and broader contexts of ocean environmental governance, sustainability, energy and the Arctic.
The focus of the network activities for 2016 and 2017 was to explore the role of private maritime actors and alternative ways of tackling greenhouse gas emissions from the maritime transport sector. This included a general understanding of the opportunities, incentives, secondary benefits, as well as obstacles, for voluntary actions in Denmark/EU and the USA and a close examination of their implications in terms of enforcement and liability.
In 2018, TRAMEREN expanded its scope incorporating prominent issues of the international research agenda related to maritime transport, in particular, the implementation of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and ocean governance.
In 2019, TRAMEREN focused on exploring environmental governance in the Arctic by examining institutions, actors and interactions in emerging issues in Arctic ocean governance, such as conservation of marine living resources, the use of the marine Arctic for extractive industries, climate change impacts, and maritime transport issues.
- First International Conference of the Transatlantic Maritime Emissions Research Network (TRAMEREN) on Maritime Actors and Climate Change: Incentives and Strategies for Voluntary Action
- TRAMEREN Kick-off Workshop: Advancing the Research Frontier
- Workshop on Nordic Action for a Transformation to Low-carbon Shipping. Read more about: Workshop on Nordic Action for a Transformation to Low-carbon Shipping (add link to workshop page and project)
- Second International Conference of the Transatlantic Maritime Emissions Research Network (TRAMEREN) on Frontiers in Ocean Environmental Governance: Private Actors, Public Goods
- Third International Conference of the Transatlantic Maritime Emissions Research Network (TRAMEREN) on Arctic Environmental and Climate Change Governance
|Cullen, Miriam||Assistant professor|
|Ebbersmeyer, Ana Stella||Student|
|Hovden, Katarina||PhD student|
|Martinez Romera, Beatriz||Associate professor|
|Monti, Alessandro||Guest researcher|
|Nordlander, Linnéa||PhD student|
|Nyborg, Annemette Fallentin||PhD student|
|Stanescu, Catalin-Gabriel||Assistant professor|
|Ulfbeck, Vibe Garf||Director of centre, professor|
Transatlantic Maritime Emissions Research Network - TRAMEREN has received a two year funding from by the Danish Agency of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Project: TRAMEREN - Transatlantic Maritime Emissions Research Network
(Project number: 5132-00087B)
Funding for network activities:
Associate Professor on Environmental and Climate Change Law
Beatriz Martinez Romera
Centre for International Law and Governance (CILG)
Faculty of Law, University of Copenhagen
Karen Blixens Plads 16
DK-2300 Copenhagen S
DIR +45 35323180
MOB +45 29700410